Articles, events, and opportunities at items 1-10 (Detailed Passover Seder flyer follows). Photos from past events are at Item 11. See also windows for Shabbat services and Recurring Events .
1. Adult education Hebrew class Thursdays, 1 pm, continues April 5, 19, 26
2. Here is Rabbi Severine Sokol in the House Chamber on March 6th, during the 2018 Session of the General Assembly, giving the invocation to the House of Delegates. What a memorable visit to the Capitol!
Here's how to access, depending on "phone", desktop computer, or browser.
a) On a phone, or on a desktop computer with Firefox, Chrome, or MIcrosoft explorer, click on the following link:
b) Only if your desktop computer does not have the above as default browser , do the following steps to get there
(start in Safari or Edge and then go to Firefox as shown)
2) Either open video for March 6 (Col 1) or download and then open March 6 (Col 2)
3) If using Safari (iMac) or Edge (Windows 10) click on the session link, copy the address, go to Firefox (or Chrome), paste the address or enter into search bar “Virginia House of Delegates Live Stream March 6 Granicus", and play video for March 6
c) Rabbi Sokol’s invocation occupies about 0:30 to 4:00 of video (including Pledge of Allegiance)
Also see below (Item 10 ) for photos of Rabbi Sokol delivering the invocation at the Virginia House of Delegates, Tuesday, March 6.
3. Brotherhood Breakfast, Sunday, March 25, 10 am is cancelled this month.
4. Friday, March 30, 6:15 pm. Passover Seder. See flyer insert below announcements for details. Please RSVP by March 9. Cost to members $25 adults, $10 children 6-12, children under 6 free; non-members $35/ $15/ free respectively; $20 students and enlisted.
5. Saturday, April 7, 9 am. Jewish Cuisine cooking at 9 am followed by Shabbat morning service (instead of Friday) at 10 am and Community Luncheon. Open to public and costs $12 adults and $5 children under 12. Please call office 596-8352 to RSVP.
6. Friday, April 20, 7:30 pm. Abridged Yom Shabbat/Yom HaAtzmaut Services. Please join us for a special presentation by Dr. Avi Santo of ODU: Between Judaism and Zionism: 70 years of negotiating Israeli identity through cinema. Dr. Avi Santo is director of the Institute for the Humanities at Old Dominion University. He is the author of Selling the Silver Bullet: The Lone Ranger and Transmedia Brand Licensing as well as the editor of Making Media Work: Cultures of Management in the Entertainment Industries. He is the creator of MediaCommons, a digital platform funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities and the MacArthur Foundation. Locally, he has spearheaded the Birth of an Answer and Mapping Lambert's Point projects, which have used innovative multimedia and digital tools to shine a light on aspects of Hampton Roads African American history and generate meaningful dialog between past and present. Among his research interests are Israeli cinema, which he has written and presented on extensively, particularly the shifting negotiation over religiosity and Zionism that Israeli filmmakers grapple with in their work.
7. Sunday, April 22, 10 am. Brotherhood Breakfast; Speaker TBA.
8. Sunday, May 6, 11:30 am. Annual Congregational Meeting with brunch.
9. Opportunities to get involved at Temple Sinai:
--Caring Committee ongoing opportunities to help our members for appointments or Shiva (see Social Action tab under Activities).
--Pulpit Committee: additional members needed to line up volunteers for honors at Services.
---Webmaster assistance: to get involved, contact John, firstname.lastname@example.org.
10. Recent events
Rabbi Sokol delivered the invocation at the Virginia House of Delegates, Tuesday, March 6. Links to video are at top of home page.
Link to Facebook video of Chanukah concert, December 15, with Paul Reisler and congregants, Click here (may require exit from our website)
Chanukah Concert, December 15, featuring Grammy Nominated artist Paul Reisler & Kid Pan Alley and Friends, and congregants on stage.
November 12, Simcha Klezmorim Band. From left to right: Russ Robertson (trombone, vocals); Warren Weiss (drums, leader); Randy A. Ladkau (trumpet); Kathy Weiss (piano) and Dave Kreiselman (clarinet).
November 12, Gholam Farrokhpour's Buffet: Kebobs, Hummus, Baba Ganoush, Pita Chips, Israeli Salad, Olives, Crudités and More!
Saturday, October 9. Sukkot Community dinner (Moroccan couscous); Outdoors in our Sukkah
Friday, August 25. A meaningful and heartwarming encounter with a delegation from Grace Episcopal Church, Yorktown, after the tragedy at Charlottesville.
Friday, June 30. Our program featuring producer, artist, and music scholar Ben Sidran was a great success with 100 attending. See pictures. Also thanks to UJCVP for supporting grant. Flyer here.